Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ middle click??
Soul Book

middle click?? - 113 views

toolbar firefox extension usability interface GUI suggestion

started by Soul Book on 26 Oct 08
  • Soul Book

I've asked half a dozen times before, over the last 6-12 months, but can we please get some sensible mouse handling options on the toolbar?

Surely it can't be hard to add (consistently) the option to middle click things to open them in new tabs??

I really like the new Filters on the toolbar... but in order to open one I have to "right click on my toolbar" "choose new tab" and then click on the item in the list. Why can't i just middle click it to get it in a new tab like everything else in FF?

Plus I always forget, so i end up overwriting my current tab (often losing whatever i had in that tab) and then have to click the back button to get it back.

Other than that, great job.. keep it up...
  • Joel Liu

ok. I promise this feature will be available in the next toolbar update.
  • Soul Book

:-D

Thanks very very very much! Sorry to keep buggin you ;-)

PS/ I keep recommending diigo on message boards and blogs.. keep up the good work you guys!

Joel Liu wrote:
    > ok. I promise this feature will be available in the next toolbar update.
  • Joel Liu

Please download the new version. Middle click is available now.
  • Soul Book

Just trying it now.. seems to work well. This will make using things much more intuitive for me! Thank you!

I feel bad to bring up a few minor points after you've done such a great job. These aren't big complaints at all, just points of interest:
    (a) When searching direct from the toolbar there doesn't seem to be a way to make the results open in a new tab. Maybe an option in the options?
    (b) Diigo doesn't seem to give any information about updates (changenotes) within the firefox extension updates dialogue. This might be useful.
    (c) You guys are great.

Joel Liu wrote:
    > Please download the new version. Middle click is available now.
  • Joel Liu

a) We will see whether it's possible to add middle click here. BTW, we plan to develop a more powerful meta search engine, and integrate it with firefox search box in the upper-right corner. By doing this, we can remove search box in diigo toolbar, so you can have more space in the toolbar to do other things, for example, putting more quick access filters there. How do you think about it?

b) There is a change log link here http://www.diigo.com/tools. You can see the change log before you download toolbar. I am not sure how many people want to embed the change log in the toolbar.

c) Thanks.
  • Graham Perrin

Joel Liu wrote:

> more space in the toolbar to do other things

My twopenneth …

Use extra space for: 

* spaciousness!

Clarity. De-clutter.

Increase predictability. Icons should be a suitable size and their meaning should be unmistakable.

Already, it's unnecessarily tricky to aim for the small triangles alongside some of the buttons. Cross-reference http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/diigoe-toolbar-button-menu-inconsistencies-three-different-behaviours-for-a-single-ui-widget-7323

> for example, putting more quick access filters there.

Features that require space can be floated in a window.

> BTW, we plan to develop a more powerful meta search engine, and integrate it with firefox search box in the upper-right corner. By doing this, we can remove search box in diigo toolbar, so you can have …

Please, please, avoid making Diigo any more browser-specific than it is already.

I would prefer to never use Firefox. For _everything_ other than Diigo I find satisfaction in other browsers. YMMV :)

At least: if you do marry any feature of Diigo to a feature of a specific browser, please do _not_ remove that feature from more traditional/portable Diigo UIs.

I'm open to change :) but highly resistant to browser- and platform-specificity.

> We will see whether it's possible to add middle click

Similarly: if you map a feature of Diigo to a middle click, ensure that the feature is equally available to users who have no middle click.

Accessibility :)
  • Soul Book

Joel Liu wrote:
    > a) We will see whether it's possible to add middle click here. BTW, we plan to develop a more powerful meta search engine, and integrate it with firefox search box in the upper-right corner. By doing this, we can remove search box in diigo toolbar, so you can have more space in the toolbar to do other things, for example, putting more quick access filters there. How do you think about it?
    >
    In theory i think its a great idea. I'd definitely like more integration of the search results.

Personally I have the search box removed from my firefox setup. I mostly use the Cybersearch extension and just type straight into the location bar (Chrome style). (by having diigo mirror it's bookmarks as local bookmarks, they come up in the list of suggestions).
    Then I use diigo's right click search options to search for terms in page using different search engines.

My personal suggestion would be something like the Google Extra greasemonkey script.
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/10458
    Eg: the extension inserts results from diigo into my normal google results page.

Google extra inserts thumbnails from google images & youtube, inserts a wikipedia definition and a dictionary.com definition into the wasted space on the right of google results.
    I've been working on modifying it to use the diigo api to insert a few matching diigo bookmarks as well. (and maybe an icon when the search result matches a bookmark).

However i'm only learning, so my progress has been slow.

I agree that having an additional search box on the toolbar isnt intuitive, i have to remember to go to different places to search different sites. Not sure how well integration of all the different search options from diigo into the FF search box would go, but if you can do it right then go for it.

As i mentioned above, for diigo bookmarks at least, i don't think there should be a seperate "search bookmarks" option. The bookmarks results should be injected into whatever results you get.

Eg: If i'm searching for "batman" i don't want to first search my bookmarks (cos i can't remember if i have any), and then go and search the web, or videos, or imdb or wikipedia.
    I want to search the web, plus get any related bookmarks at the same time. I want to search imdb, plus get any related bookmarks at the same time. I want to search wikipedia plus...

Thats just how i'd do it.

Also, if you're working on closer firefox integration then i'd love to have integration with the Star bookmarking icon. Ideally I'd like another 2 star icons next to it: 1-Diigo it. 2-Diigo unread.

> b) There is a change log link here http://www.diigo.com/tools. You can see the change log before you download toolbar. I am not sure how many people want to embed the change log in the toolbar.

I didn't explain it very well. When i started firefox it popped up a window telling me i had updates for 3 extensions. In the bottom left corner of that window is a button marked "more information" or something like that.
    When i clicked on that button for the other two extensions i got a pane on the right that gave inormation about the update. For diigo it just said something about "information not available".
    I guess its part of mozilla's update/extension system?
  • Joel Liu

>
    > My personal suggestion would be something like the Google Extra greasemonkey script.
    > http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/10458
    > Eg: the extension inserts results from diigo into my normal google results page.
    >

Diigo + google search is already available.
    1) Select some search term and right click, choose Search web ==>Web ==>Diigo & Google.
    Or
    2) Open search box in diigo toolbar and conducting your search from there.
  • Joel Liu

I appreciate all your points Graham:) and will keep accessibility and consistency in my mind.
  • Graham Perrin

Thanks Joel and all :)

Using Diigo 3.1.6.5 in Firefox 3.0.3. on Mac OS X 10.5.5: some of what's described in this thread does not work. At least, not consistently. http://www.diigo.com/annotated/fb02a0776bdc692af1adecce1ffe03eb for an annotated view of the thread.
  • Soul Book

I have no "Diigo and Google" option in any of my diigo search options.

Tried clicking on "customise" but it isn't available in there either. I guess i might be able to get it by resetting all my defaults, but i've got my search set up as i like it, and i don't want to have to re-enter every search engine.
    Is there a URL i can use to add it manually?

I followed the link in Graham's note, and i got his results page. If i use that page to search for something i have in my bookmarks then it works well.

However I think it'd be better to have a Google Extra style layout, as the current Diigo & Google doesn't make great use of space.. i only get a few diigo results, and then lots of google ones. If they were side by side then i could get more diigo results. (also, i end up stuck with saesearch "on" and using google.com results rather than .co.uk). Still, its a fair start.

-------------------

@Graham:
    Middle click is the standard in most tabbed software to open and close things in new tabs. I don't think its windows only, though i haven't used a mac for a while. In most software (firefox, mozilla, etc..) you can set up the options for control-click and alt-click to mimic a middle click. I've just tried it and in FF control-click seems to mostly have the same effect.. at least in my setup.

Afaik middle click works in Firefox, Opera, IE7, Visual Studio, etc.. on windows, and usually on linux too. I'd imagine it works on OSX if you plug in a mouse with a mousewheel.

It wasn't really an EXTRA feature i wanted specific to Diigo, I just wanted diigo's usability to be the same as the rest of the browser, because having middle click work on some menus, but not on others was rather confusing. Now its all consistent. :-)
  • Graham Perrin

@ soulgrind r: thanks, and hurrah for usability, consistency and joint detective work :)

I rarely change my mouse preferences in Mac OS X 10.5.5 but at a glance I see

* Primary Button
    * Secondary Button
    * Button 3 (which I have mapped to Spaces)
    * Button 4 (which I have not mapped to anything) - that is, squeezing both sides of the Mighty Mouse.

This nebulous 'Button 4' seems to be interpreted as a middle click - at least, if I curse over a hyperlink then squeeze both sides of my mouse, the link opens in a separate tab (Firefox 3.0.3) without losing focus of the current tab.

On Windows, with a mouse with a scroll wheel, I visualise three clicks:

1. left
    2. right
    3. middle (typically on the scroll wheel).

What, if anything, would be your fourth click (Button 4) on a mouse in Windows?

LOL … the many differences (not just a Mac/Windows thing) make me tend towards "contextual menu" as a commonly understood expression, but in a Firefox view annotations to this page we see that contextual menu behaviour is unpredictable! There's no winning!

Peace, Graham
  • Graham Perrin
  • Graham Perrin

> no "Diigo and Google" option

It's a little obscure,

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Soul Book

Nope, i definitely don't have it. I use the right click "search" functionality of diigo all the time, but i don't remember ever having a "diigo and web" option. Maybe i accidentally deleted it when i customised my other search engines. I do have "diigo" and "google" options of course... but no combined one.

I've never had any issues with the right click menu not appearing. Or do you mean the pop up menu diigo automatically displays when you highlight things? I disabled that ages ago, so i wouldn't know how that works... i tend to just highlight things, right click, and then choose from "highlight, bookmark and highligh, or Search Bookmarks"

Try squeezing on a tab and see if it closes it. try sueezing on your bookmarks and see if they open in new tabs. I couldn't live without middle click these days, i tend to go through a page and middle click any interesting links, and then go through all the tabs and see what there is. Hardly ever use the back button these days ;-)

As for your PC mouse question. I'd say most PC mice have only 2 buttons and a scroll wheel (which makes button 3 - middle click). Though of course there are so many different models of USB mouse out there. My old one used to have five buttons. My current one has a scroll wheel that can also be tilted left and right, so i gues thats two extra buttons... but left right and middle is the standard (but can be tricky on touchpads, hence the control-click option)
    I think that "fourth click/squeeze" is a mac only feature, as afaik the mighty mouse is the only one with that function, as it doesn't have a scroll wheel...
  • Graham Perrin

> I've never had any issues with the right click menu not appearing.

The problem does seem to be random or transient (as I review this afternoon the stickies that I attached to this page on 10th November, I can not reproduce the problem).

> Or do you mean the pop up menu diigo automatically displays when
    > you highlight things? I disabled that ages ago

So, I wonder whether the various add-ons that extend a contextual menu within Firefox 3.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.5.5 might sometimes randomly conflict with or supersede each other.

At http://www.diigo.com/annotated/d81629500f5ec8c516e8a14a562fd8a5 I placed a question mark against (and will now annotate) 'contextual menus'…

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group