Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ Saving existing bookmark to group overwrites existing tags?
Phil Ridout

Saving existing bookmark to group overwrites existing tags? - 92 views

priority bug dataloss overwrite tag bookmark copy share group tag-related group bookmarks suggestion 956964 986916 999099

started by Phil Ridout on 15 Apr 09
  • Phil Ridout

I just saved a bookmark to a group that had previously been saved by another group member. When I saved it I used just a single tag. Now it seems that that single tag has replaced the three tags the other group member had used when they saved the bookmark. I would have expected my tag to have been added to the tags in the group. Is this a bug or a (undesirable) feature?
  • Phil Ridout

Thanks for your very quick response. I'm impressed.

" .. who is the owner ..."

The Group is. Or should be. As far as I can see, when I bookmark a site and save it to a group, two copies of that bookmark are created. One in my bookmarks and one in the group bookmarks. The copy in the group bookmarks should not 'belong' to me. It should now 'belong' to the group. In this case, I think it would be much more useful if the tags were additive rather than 'the last person to save the bookmark defines the tags'. That way you get to build a picture of how the group tags bookmarks rather than how the last person to save it tags bookmarks. I still have 'my' copy which shows how I tagged it.

Now I understand what the current behaviour is, I can watch out for it. But could I make a feature request for the future that when saving a previously saved bookmark to a group, the tags are added to the existing bookmarks rather than replace them.
  • Graham Perrin

> Is this a bug or a (undesirable) feature?

I think it's undesirable; tags are too easily lost (overwritten).

Loss of data is never acceptable, and it's more frustrating when there is no undo.

The problem was noted a few months ago, http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/group-view-of-annotations-excludes-annotations-that-are-public-8588#3

More recently (March 2009) I repeated the suggestion that for group content (topics), removal/edition of tags must be disallowed: http://www.diigo.com/05ikk
  • Graham Perrin

Not only tags.

I just discovered that the original description is lost (overwritten) without warning.
  • Phil Ridout

At the very least, you should get a warning !
  • Joel Liu

Phil, I am sorry for the late reply. I recorded it in our internal feature list. Very busy in preparing the upcoming new version.
  • Graham Perrin

Comparing (a) Diigolet 3.1b523 with (b) Diigo 3.1.6.13 extending Firefox: I wondered whether recommended or suggested tags, in the latter, might reduce the risk of dataloss.

Apparently not. Test results http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/existing-group-tags-for-a-bookmark-are-missing-from-tags-and-recommended-tags-in-bookmark-dialogue-45984 show that recommended tags do not include existing tags.
  • Graham Perrin

Suggestion

When a person copies (shares) a group a bookmark that is already within the group:

* service should default to add (append) not overwrite tags.

Comparing behaviour in my library with behaviour in groups

As the default is visibly improved in pro edit (management) view for my library, when revising tags for selected (checked/ticked) bookmarks, so I assume that it will be possible to change the server-side default for 'group conflicts'.
  • Graham Perrin
  • KPI_Library Bookmarks

Just wondering if there's a time frame for this fix. Descriptions and tags should not be overwritten. My vote is for appending tags, and appending a description to the existing group bookmark.

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group