Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ Cached Pages - Inconsistency
Woodward

Cached Pages - Inconsistency - 112 views

resolved cache suggestion bug inconsistency

started by Woodward on 26 Apr 07
  • Woodward

What is up with the inconsistency of saving a full webpage? Some sites are cached while others are not. Does this have to do with max characters?

I love Diigo but am considering going back to Furl since I can capture a full page and then use a full text search for the whole page
  • Maggie Tsai

I'm not a techie , but my understanding is that while most pages are cached, there are some various circumstances that cause some pages not cached, such as https (secured pages), internet connection / original page cannot be visited, etc. to cause some interruption, etc. In those incidences, we will try to grab them once again in the next batch cycle, but could still have some issue, etc...

If you or anyone know how to make caching 100% (which is pretty hard, from my understanding), please contact us - we'd love to have your assistance.

• jeffreyjflim

woo1018 wrote:
    > What is up with the inconsistency of saving a full webpage? Some sites are cached while others are not. Does this have to do with max characters?
    >
    > I love Diigo but am considering going back to Furl since I can capture a full page and then use a full text search for the whole page

or how about this? My situation: I have a cached page. Or rather, I *HAD* a cached page. Used to be cached. Now not.

"Cache page didn't exist. Please Click the following link to visit original page." - I love that wonderful message. Diigo used to be functional and "ok" for me. What's happened to it now?
  • Joel Liu

> or how about this? My situation: I have a cached page. Or rather, I *HAD* a cached page. Used to be >cached. Now not.
    > "Cache page didn't exist. Please Click the following link to visit original page." - I love that wonderful
    > message. Diigo used to be functional and "ok" for me. What's happened to it now?

=====> Could you give us these URLs, so we can look into it and find what happened.
  • Joel Liu

woo1018 wrote:
    > What is up with the inconsistency of saving a full webpage? Some sites are cached while others are not. >Does this have to do with max characters?
    ==========> Could you give us the URLs which didn't been cached? So we can
    >
    > I love Diigo but am considering going back to Furl since I can capture a full page and then use a full text >search for the whole page
    ===========>Diigo's fulltext search feature not only search the original pages(based on the cached pages), but also search the tag, comment, stickynotes. Besides Search box ===>More ==> Search mine by fulltext.

Thanks
  • Dr. Skepticus

maggie_diigo wrote:
    > I'm not a techie , but my understanding is that while most pages are cached, there are some various circumstances that cause some pages not cached, such as https (secured pages), Internet connection / original page cannot be visited, etc. to cause some interruption, etc. In those incidences, we will try to grab them once again in the next batch cycle, but could still have some issue, etc...
    >
    > If you or anyone know how to make caching 100% (which is pretty hard, from my understanding), please contact us - we'd love to have your assistance.
    >

Let's face it, FURL continue to be much more functional to save personal copies of even any page on the web (even PDFs) than Diigo. That's what I'm still using it. And that's a pity because Diigo is a much better researching tool. I think that you people behind Diigo must understand that if you are demanded for better caching or anything else, it is because your product is better and we, the users, realize that things that other service can do very well must be implemented on Diigo, so we can make it the only tool we use to online research. (Consider the hassle for us to switch from one service to the other just to complete the same investigation).
  • jeffreyjflim

joel wrote:
    > > or how about this? My situation: I have a cached page. Or rather, I *HAD* a cached page. Used to be >cached. Now not.
    > > "Cache page didn't exist. Please Click the following link to visit original page." - I love that wonderful
    > > message. Diigo used to be functional and "ok" for me. What's happened to it now?
    >
    > ===== > Could you give us these URLs, so we can look into it and find what happened.

I would be interested (as an actual, real life user of the service) to be given an honest (and technically accurate) answer here - it isnt the best of impressions when a service drops your data.. and then doesn't anything to pick up that error at all (shouldn't ur "error page generator" give u an alert? log something to somewhere?)

http://www.diigo.com/cached?url=http://www.codeproject.com/jscript/javascriptlinedrawing.asp
    (*NOTE - I "de-htmlized" the '%nn' characters back to their actual characters ['%2F' = '/'] because apparently the "overflow" here seems to be set to "hidden" - if ur url is too long, u dont get to see the rest of it)
  • Joel Liu

We are investigating this problem very seriously. Thanks.
  • davido T

I agree, and that's why my one big fear re diigo is that will go away one day, and my hard work will go with it. This is a serious issue, I think, for researchers and anyone else who seriously uses the service.

Anything on the horizon in the way of an 'export' feature that will capture bookmarks, highlights, comments, everything, and let me save to my hard drive?

jeffreyjflim wrote:
    > I would be interested (as an actual, real life user of the service) to be given an honest (and technically accurate) answer here - it isnt the best of impressions when a service drops your data..
  • davido T

my solution to this problem (and i've definitely noticed it too) is to use Simultaneous Bookmark to Furl (and any other service you like). It's insurance.

woo1018 wrote:
    > What is up with the inconsistency of saving a full webpage? Some sites are cached while others are not. Does this have to do with max characters?
    >
    > I love Diigo but am considering going back to Furl since I can capture a full page and then use a full text search for the whole page
  • Graham Perrin

> Some sites are cached while others are not.

Caching seems fine nowadays.

> capture a full page and then use a full text search for the whole page

I might expect the word
    CompuPro
    to be found amongst my bookmarks.

* the URL within which the word appears _is_ cached
    * my browser finds the word if I present Diigo's cached copy
    * Diigo search alone does not find the word.

I also tried advanced search.

Maybe I'm missing something…
  • Graham Perrin

> * Diigo search alone does not find the word.

Reviewing this topic following the recent upgrade to Diigo 4.0 beta:

http://www.diigo.com/search?adSScope=my&what=CompuPro works as expected.

Tag: resolved

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group