Skip to main content

Home/ Ad4dcss/Digital Citizenship/ Group items tagged aol

Rss Feed Group items tagged

Anne Bubnic

AOL Launches New Online Safety Site and Upgrades Parental Controls - 0 views

  •  
    AOL has unveiled a new online safety education Web site, SafetyClicks.com, and introduced an improved version of its free, downloadable parental controls software (parentalcontrols.aol.com). To develop content, SafetyClicks.com worked closely with ConnectSafely.org, a non-profit safety organization. For organizations and Internet safety experts that have direct contact with parents, educators, kids and teens, AOL continues to build relationships with them to promote awareness of online safety. "Friends of SafetyClicks.com" includes organizations such as ConnectSafely, ESRB, Enough Is Enough, Family Online Safety Institute, GetNetWise, Internet Keep Safe Coalition, iSafe, LOOKBOTHWAYS, NetFamilyNews, NetSmartz411, ParentDish, WebWiseKids, WiredSafety, WorkingMother.
Anne Bubnic

In age of social networks, can AIM keep up? - 0 views

  • Then, social networking started taking off. First came Friendster, then MySpace and Facebook, and now Twitter. The popularity of texting began soaring, too. All of this makes me wonder: What is Time Warner-owned AOL Instant Messenger doing to ensure that aging Millennials like me keep instant messaging a part of their daily routine?
  • AOL spokeswoman Erin Gifford said she wasn't sure what efforts the company was deploying to keep 20-somethings interested in messaging. That's not to say AOL Instant Messenger, which debuted in 1997, hasn't remained popular. It currently has about 30.4 million active users in the United States, making it the most popular instant messenger service in the country.
  • AIM's sweet spot is people between the ages of 13 and 24. They make up about 49 percent of all AOL instant messenger users. That leaves 51 percent of us who are 25 and older.
  •  
    What is AOL Instant Messenger doing to ensure that aging Millennials keep instant messaging? Data from the Pew Center Internet & American Life Project shows that instant messaging habits are staying steady with about 75 percent of teens ages 12 to 17 using instant messenger services. That number has stayed the same since 2000.
Anne Bubnic

Barack Obama is master of the new Facebook politics | - 0 views

  •  
    It was one of Clinton's many huge errors that she bypassed Silicon Valley's fundraisers in favour of more traditional areas of Democratic support. And she missed the key element of the new politics: social networking. She was still AOL; Obama was Facebook. Clinton was the PC; Obama was a Mac.
Anne Bubnic

Bringing Internet privacy into the 21st century - 0 views

  •  
    Finally, there's something Google and Microsoft can agree on: Our electronic privacy protections are in serious need of an overhaul. They, along with Intel, AOL, AT&T, the ACLU, and a dozen other household names, have formed the Digital Due Process coalition, aimed at urging Congress to modernize the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) -- the only thing keeping Johnny Law from pawing through your digital life.
Rhondda Powling

Task force tells how to keep kids safe online - 0 views

  •  
    Members of an internet safety task force on July 8 suggested several ways to improve cyber safety for children, focusing on three key areas in particular: education before a child gets on the internet, control while the child is online, and having set procedures if problems arise. The task force, which included representatives from Verizon, Comcast, Cox, Google, Yahoo!, AOL, Symantec, Common Sense Media, the Internet Keep Safe Coalition (iKeepSafe), the National Parent-Teacher Association, Family Online Safety Institute, and the Children's Partnership, met for more than a year to develop its report and recommendations.
1 - 5 of 5
Showing 20 items per page