Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ How do we deal with spammers?
The Ravine / Joseph Dunphy

How do we deal with spammers? - 98 views

spam (electronic)

started by The Ravine / Joseph Dunphy on 13 Mar 09
  • The Ravine / Joseph Dunphy

In case anybody asks ... yes, I have contacted Diigo about this.
  • anonymous

Your question is in relation to an individual sending you a message. You can block or isolate your messages to only your friends, which blocks out unsolicited messages to you. That would be my first suggestion.

Secondly, I would agree with your overall premise that something must be done about spammers. It would be nice to be able to tag any bookmark or message as spam and certain account holders as spammers. Probably should be some kind of review system as people can abuse that.

> Probably should be some kind of review system as people can abuse that.

Agreed. That very problem has been reported at Tribe.net, where the item deletion process was, most unwisely in my view, automated. Flagging should only be there as a means of alerting the staff that something needs to be done.

OK, so there is a button for flagging spammers, though not one for flagging spam - one finds it on the user's profile. Maybe it's overkill, but I used the form, sending support this message.

"Take a look at this user's bookmark file, which consists of nothing other than atempts to sell watches. I've already written to you about this discussion somebody started, which consists of nothing other than a link to a page for selling watches:

See: http://message.diigo.com/message/http-www-yesreplica-com-rolex-swiss-watches-c-34-html-440620?page_num=0#1

The user's display name is, in fact, "fashion watches". This really couldn't be any more blatant."

her username being "watches123". Yes, she's still in business, and she's not even trying to be inconspicuous. One can almost picture her standing outside of Diigo's offices with a megaphone, making her pitch. I really hope they slap this person down.

• KARR 4.0 !

Diigo seems very slow about communicating with there user in this community (strange) but they relatively communicating fast on there twitter a/c http:twitter.com/diigo ( again strange but thats good thing). i think it will be better if we made a long post here in this community then contact Diigo in there twitter a/c to send ref link of that page to tell them "we hav a proble on Diigo plz solve it ASAP .
    Diigo is very fascinating and addictive . cant wait for the v4.0 toolbar any more :)

Scott Allam wrote:
    > Your question is in relation to an individual sending you a message. You can block or isolate your messages to only your friends, which blocks out unsolicited messages to you. That would be my first suggestion.
    >
    > Secondly, I would agree with your overall premise that something must be done about spammers. It would be nice to be able to tag any bookmark or message as spam and certain account holders as spammers. Probably should be some kind of review system as people can abuse that.
  • KARR 4.0 !

i hav created a Topic "Diigo Feature Request: (Post Which New Features u want to see in Diigo) "

to centralise all Diigo Feature requests

ref: http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/diigo-feature-request-post-which-new-features-u-want-to-see-in-diigo-42565

plz post new feature request there , so that it will be help full for them to locate all feature suggestions at one place . or can i copy paste ur feature request there (also crediting ur name ) ??
  • Fuzbolero .

KARR 4.0 ! wrote:
    > Brilliant Idea ! :)

Glad you like it.

On second thought, how did this sentence sound..:

"Not many like spammers, and certainly not the Diigo staff. "

Certainly not many like the the Diigo staff either? ;-)
    (Could be understood as the opposite of its meaning too, hehe.)
  • KARR 4.0 !

ROFLOL hehe like the 2nd sentence more :P ( JK)

Fuzbolero . wrote:
    > KARR 4.0 ! wrote:
    > > Brilliant Idea ! :)
    >
    > Glad you like it.
    >
    > On second thought, how did this sentence sound..:
    >
    > "Not many like spammers, and certainly not the Diigo staff. "
    >
    > Certainly not many like the the Diigo staff either? ;-)
    > (Could be understood as the opposite of its meaning too, hehe.)
  • Fuzbolero .

KARR 4.0 ! wrote:
    > I Created A Group ( Diigo Feature Requests Community) to Consolidate all Diigo Feature Requests . I Hope It will Help Diigo Creators to View all Requests in 1 Place.
    >
    > http://groups.diigo.com/groups/diigo-feature-requests-community
    >
    > Lets Make Diigo BEST Social Website :)

Good, lets move the suggestions over there, I just posted my above suggestions there:
    http://groups.diigo.com/diigo-feature-requests-community/forum/topic/spam-combat-in-a-collaborative-modern-elegant-and-rewarding-way-42599

PS. I think that it is practical if we always tag the posts somewhat uniformly, for example with "feature-request". Perhaps make a sticky note with a suggestion for one or more main tags?
  • Fuzbolero .

the ravine / joseph dunphy wrote:
    >
    > 7. I begin my wait for a response, with little expectation of getting one because these forums seem to have become very quiet, but hoping this time will be different. This looks like a nice little site, and I'd hate to see it destroyed by people like that user.
    >

Good to see that your hope about being wrong about #7 may come true :-)
  • KARR 4.0 !

@ Fuzbolero & @Ken Wei

would u like to be moderator of Diigo Feature Requests Community ( thou i already make u moderator in that Community :)

ref: http://groups.diigo.com/groups/diigo-feature-requests-community
  • KARR 4.0 !

i actually created Diigo Feature Request Community to consolidated all "Suggestion" in one place . not every body tagged when they post for suggestions. I would love see u joined that community share ur vast knowledge with us . thnx

Graham Perrin wrote:
    > Subject: separation and tagging
    >
    > > There should be a dedicated separate "Diigo Feature Requests"
    > > group, I think.
    >
    > http://groups.diigo.com/groups/Diigo_HQ already defines this group:
    >
    > > > Share your review, tips, tricks, and ideas for using Diigo here,
    > > > and discuss our features, ideas for new features, anything Diigo
    > > > related.
    >
    > Diigo Community is also the place to report bugs, but not bugs relating to privacy.
    >
    > For any issue relating to privacy,
    > http://www.diigo.com/help/privacy offers a separate contact address.
    >
    > See also
    > http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/7328
    >
    > Whilst the group forum UI is not perfect, personally I would discourage separation. It is already too difficult to search for, and find things in one place (one Diigo group); multiplying places will increase the difficulty.
    >
    > > Anyway, the best way to file features requests up until now, has
    > > been to post it here in this forum and tag the post as "feature
    > > request" (when you start typing "feat.." , the existing tag
    > > appears, so you can select from the suggestion and avoid too many
    > > variations of that tag (typing mistakes, etc.)
    >
    > Multiple word tags are sometimes problematic.
    >
    > Please use the following single word tag:
    >
    >    suggestion
    >
    > The resulting list of topics:
    > http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/tag/suggestion
    >
    > Thanks
    > Graham
  • Fuzbolero .

KARR 4.0 ! wrote:
    > i actually created Diigo Feature Request Community to consolidated all "Suggestion" in one place . not every body tagged when they post for suggestions. I would love see u joined that community share ur vast knowledge with us . thnx
    >

Yes, it is not realistic to expect "everyone" to know which keyword / tag to use - and especially not when introducing one that is nor commonly used elsewhere. At least "feature-request" is somewhat widespread in use, as is terms like "faq" etc. But with or without dash, with or without plural form, etc., makes it quite impossible to ensure uniform usage.Therefore I think that a group with a specific name, perhaps and hopefully also promoted on the help pages by the Diigo staff, will help consolidate these posts. The Diigo_HQ group is not a logical name for feature requests either. When someone skims the groups to look for where to post such things, I doubt everyone actually reads that particular group description to identify that group as the right place to post. Better with this precisely named new group, I think.

Edit:
    Please post replies to THIS one in the following thread instead:
    http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/i-created-a-group-diigo-feature-requests-community-to-discuss-consolidate-all-diigo-feature-requests-42597#5
  • Graham Perrin

Red Rose wrote:

> With all due respect Mr. Perrin, do you always quote links that arn't very helpful?

Please, which aspect was unhelpful?
  • Maggie Tsai

Thanks for reporting. User has been marked as spammer and account privilege removed.

We take anti-spam seriously. Diigo is not just any ordinary "social network" - it's mainly a productivity tool and a knowledge sharing community. We have strict anti-spam policy against any SEO / or commercial site promotion intend. Report of verified violation will cause the account privilage promptly suspended.

So, if you notice any suspicious activity, go to their profile and flag them as spammer. It will automatically triggers an alert to us to take a closer look. We have and will continue to implement more anti-spam measures. This is an open platform, so we also appreciate and need everyone's help to keep diigo a really awesome place for all to enjoy.

Note: there is a new toolbar coming that will address some of the potential spam sticky note issue (in addition to what we already offer - the view annotation filter under Highlight > > (see all, private, group, or no) So stay tuned as we will make those new release available shortly.

As much as we like to interact with our community users (we really like to whenever we have a chance), we're extremely busy with Furl users migration and continued R&D developments. In fact, two major releases will be forthcoming shortly. Unless one is intimately involved with product development, it's really hard to appreciate the complexity and hard work involved to bring something from conception to production that serves tons of users!

We're a small team serving all of you. Compared with most other services, we believe that our attention to user feedback and our responsiveness have already surpassed most services out there (and those with a lot more resources than we do!) All of us mutli-task to the nth degree and have been working endlessly to bring the best service for you all to enjoy. We feel very privileged that Diigo has been very well received. While it's great that our knowledge community has been gaining more and more momentum, it also puts a lot of service demand on us as well, while we also need to balance our time to take Diigo to the next level. Given our extremely limited bandwidth, please understand that it's nearly impossible for us to answer every single post and email (while we have tried as much as we can, and we do active listening all the time even if we cannot respond right away.)

Would appreciate more experienced users helping out with general questions. Meanwhile, we need to focus on bringing the next generation Diigo to you all. Stay tuned, as diigo continues to evolve. And thanks for your continued support!

PS. any urgent issue, please email us

Thank you for taking care of that, Ms. Tsai. Since you are working on a new release of Diigo, I was wondering if you knew about the new Diigo features request group, started by KARR 4.0, located at

http://groups.diigo.com/groups/diigo-feature-requests-community

Perhaps this might be a useful source of input on the current release, and a source of ideas of things to work on in the new release?

And I find yet another post of mine that was censored before it had a chance to get into the Internet Archive. Something else I don't have a copy of, having never heard of such behavior. I've run into censorious mods before, but this is a level of arbitrariness and insanity I've never seen matched.

What is missing is post #1 in this discussion, in which I was talking about the spam problem. I wish I could remember exactly what I said, but I guess I'll never know, because this, too, was censored. "How can the spammers be dealt with, and I hope they don't ruin Diigo" - that was something your staff had to make certain wouldn't be seen in the future?! Are you people kidding me?

I'm moving past rage into slack jawed astonishment, at this point. Why would you want to squash a post like that? Is this some kind of childish power play, "look at me, I'm so important that I can act like a complete lunatic on the job, and still go back to work the next week"?

Yay.

To the staff and any other moderators on this board: Have you folks thought about going back on whatever medication you discontinued? There are a number of physicians in my family. Maybe one of them could prescribe you something, though I'm starting to think that what you might really need is to be enrolled in a clinical trial. I don't know that modern medicine is ready to deal with you. But then, who would be?

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group