Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ "Bookmark and Highlight" doesn't work on Firefox 3.0.4
Cristiano Siri

"Bookmark and Highlight" doesn't work on Firefox 3.0.4 - 135 views

Firefox toolbar bug Vista

started by Cristiano Siri on 14 Dec 08
  • Cristiano Siri

Hi, i've Diigo toolbar 3.1.6.7 installed on Firefox 3.0.4 on Windows Vista machine.

When i select some text on a page and then click on "Bookmark and Highlight" on the menù which appears automatically or clicking the right mouse button, no Bookmarking windows appears and the text selected is not highlighted.

I've to do bookmarking alone and then highlighting alone.

Why "Bookmark and Highlight" do not work anymore for me?

Someone could help?

Thanks a lot.
  • anonymous

I was able to reproduce this on my machine, so definitely a bug. Frankly I have no idea why they even have a 'Bookmark and Highlight' command, because the very act of placing a highlight will automatically create a bookmark.
  • Cristiano Siri

Hi Scott,
    what you tell is true, but it was useful ("was" since now it doesn't work) because you could also give the bookmarks detail (tag... list... private or not) at the same time.

Hope someone could help me or they would fix this.
  • anonymous

Good point. I am sure they will have it fixed quickly as it is probably a trivial bug.
  • Klaas Kay

This bug happens after I upgraded my toolbar. I hope this will be fixed very soon as this feature is pretty useful for me.

Thanks!
  • anonymous

Cristiano,
    I have an interesting usability question for you, after you explained your position about defining the bookmark details.

For the longest time, I would place highlights on a page and I didn't even realize that it would bookmark the web page at the same time. That in itself is a bit problematic, as such things should be evident to the user.

So my question, what if Diigo dropped the "Bookmark and Highlight" function and anytime the user places an initial highlight on a web page, it would pop-up the bookmark dialog box with it and on subsequent highlights it wouldn't? In other words, pop the dialog box if no bookmark is present yet.

That would fix my issue, your issue and the redundant Diigo command issue.
    Sincerely,
    Scott
  • anonymous

Another alerted me in a personal note elsewhere, that the relationship between bookmark and highlight was implied by that contextual menu item (Bookmark and Highlight).

I did not make that connection myself. I thought that was a feature of convenience, i.e. two actions with one command, and not something that happened every time you placed a new highlight, or comment for that matter. Also, that command only shows in the contextual menu, no where else. Not in the Highlight menu pull down, there is no "Bookmark and Comment" command.

If someone wanted to sell me something, one was a car and the second was a car with power steering, I would assume the first car did not have power steering. So, I actually think the implication is exactly the opposite. That it was possible to place a highlight without inserting a bookmark.

For simplicity sakes, I think anytime any new bookmark is added, (aside from the One-Click to add bookmark function) it should pop the 'Add a bookmark to Diigo" dialog box. It would greatly simplify, consolidate and rectify any discrepancies in the interface.
  • Cristiano Siri

Hi Scott,
    here my two cents:

your idea to automatically pop the dialog box if no bookmark is present yet is really good.

At the same time i'm sure that for certain use cases it could be very annoying, as when you just want to collect notes in a unstructured way (and pheraps eventually detail the bookmark later).

So here my purpose:
    - to have an option in the setting to enable to pop the dialog box if no bookmark is present yet
    -- if it is not enabled you still have the chance to do "Bookmark and highlight"
    -- if it is enabled you have no "Bookmark and highlght" option

more

as you pointed out is not evident to the user that simply highlighting make that page a bookmark, this my purpose:
    - Default setting is to have the mentioned option enabled
    - Every time the bookmark dialog box pops it contains the explicit option to disable it for future highlights

This let the first time user know that an highlight automatically trigger a bookmark, but let him immediatly turn it off.

finally

for one of my typical use case there could be a third choice (or subchoice): this scenario is between the totally unstructured collecting notes and the "bookmark with detail every page i highlight".
    I can disable "to pop the dialog box if no bookmark is present yet", but let automatically insert every page i highlight in a List of mine as bookmark.

Hope this help an want to know what you think.

Scott Allam wrote:
    > Another alerted me in a personal note elsewhere, that the relationship between bookmark and highlight was implied by that contextual menu item (Bookmark and Highlight).
    >
    > I did not make that connection myself. I thought that was a feature of convenience, i.e. two actions with one command, and not something that happened every time you placed a new highlight, or comment for that matter. Also, that command only shows in the contextual menu, no where else. Not in the Highlight menu pull down, there is no "Bookmark and Comment" command.
    >
    > For simplicity sakes, I think anytime any new bookmark is added, (aside from the One-Click to add bookmark function) it should pop the 'Add a bookmark to Diigo" dialog box. It would greatly simplify, consolidate and rectify any discrepancies in the interface.
  • anonymous

Cristiano,
    Very nice break down with the use cases. Trying to think if there are anymore use cases, but I think your examples are good. I agree with your assessment that this should be an option. Coincidentally, there is even a "bookmark and highlight" tab in the Options dialog, so it definitely should NOT go there ;-)

I also like your ideas of which should be a default and the convenience check box in the bookmark dialogue box to alter the preference.
  • Graham Perrin

As highlighting is a primary tool, an action through which users may discover Diigo, I'm wary of adding options.

Metaphorically: if in real life a highlighter pen answered me back, or asked me a question, I would:

a) throw that pen away

b) find a highlighter pen that does no more, no less than what I want: highlight ;)

Highlighting should _always_ be simple, non-complicated. As close as possible to thoughtless.

I *do* understand the logic of the options suggested above - and within the highlighting routines as we know them, there are flaws (not all of which are disclosed in this forum) - but I'd like the solution to be as simple as possible.

= One-click bookmarking =

Don't forget:
    one-click highlighting is effectively that highly desirable feature:
    one-click bookmarking

http://www.diigo.com/annotated/b64d4e2be4614fd97cf61fb62eb1f4e1

With that in mind, I have grown to love the *simplicity* of highlighting as we know it.

= Suggestions =

1. A pop-up should never appear unless a button has been pressed.

2. If the 'Highlight' button is pressed, then:

- maybe† present the bookmark dialogue

- allow the user to prefer suppression of the dialogue.

3. The contextual menu in Diigolet should be improved:

- in lieu of 'Highlight'

- the menu item might be 'Highlight and bookmark'.

4. Privacy in Diigolet _must_ be improved

- allow the user to prefer private by default.
  • Graham Perrin

> - maybe† present the bookmark dialogue
    >
    > - allow the user to prefer suppression of the dialogue.

I remain wary of these approaches for at least three reasons:

1. complicating and probably diversifying the toolbars

2. complicating and probably diversifying other routines associated with highlighting

3. risk of complicating the multiple group share scenarios and multiple list scenarios.

Generally: I'm wary of adding options and dialogues at a point in the workflow that's too early.

Best regards
    Graham
  • anonymous

Graham Perrin wrote:
    > b) find a highlighter pen that does no more, no less than what I want: highlight ;)
    >

If this were the case, then it should perform like I originally thought it did, which is add a highlight without a bookmark. But it doesn't.

So I don't generally disagree with your above statement, but that isn't how it works. IMHO, either it should stop creating bookmarks when you highlight some text or it should react in such a way that it is readily apparent that it added a bookmark. This excludes the greater "Bookmark and Highlight" function, which is very clear what actions are being performed.
  • anonymous

In my opinion interface and usability considerations precede programmatic considerations, lest you create code that paints yourself into a corner that is hard to extract yourself from. That of course, is not my call.
  • Cristiano Siri

Anyway we are loosing focus on the fact that at the moment "Bookmark and highlight" is there but it doesn't work :)

Scott Allam wrote:
    > In my opinion interface and usability considerations precede programmatic considerations, lest you create code that paints yourself into a corner that is hard to extract yourself from. That of course, is not my call.
  • Graham Perrin

> either it should stop creating bookmarks when you highlight some text

I understand that, but in the absence of bookmarks:

* where at diigo.com should I seek my highlights?

(The bookmark concept is an established foundation for highlighting.)

> or it should react in such a way that it is readily apparent
    > that it added a bookmark.

>> - the menu item might be 'Highlight and bookmark'

= Suggestion =

In response to a first click on the 'Highlight' button, for any page not previously bookmarked by the user, Diigo/Diigolet might subtly respond:

"Your highlight has been added to the bookmark of this page."

- _without_ using a pop-up window for that response.

= Still wondering =

How Diigo/Diigolet might respond when I add my first highlights to a page that has been shared with multiple Diigo groups of which I am a member.

With such puzzle in mind, I should prefer Diigo to _never_ offer feedback at time of highlighting.

(Oi, you, machine! Don't answer me back unless what you're telling me is _critical_!)

This is where my Mac OS X background starts to show ;) things just work, I don't wish to receive feedback that I just did something.

/me prepares to be flamed...

The place for options is: an options dialogue/page.

The place for preferences is: a preferences dialogue/page.

> … this should be an option. Coincidentally, there is even a
    > "bookmark and highlight" tab in the Options dialog, so it
    > definitely should NOT go there ;-)

I hope that was ironic ;-)

Alongside this topic, let's recall
    http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/diigo-toolbar-button-menu-inconsistencies-three-different-behaviours-for-a-single-ui-widget-7323
  • anonymous

Graham Perrin wrote:
    >
    > * where at diigo.com should I seek my highlights?

start ==================
    Most people, when highlighting a paper book, do not insert a bookmark into every page they have placed a highlight. Therefore, your highlights are present on the page or along side the bookmark if you chose to do that. Be that as it may, I am not arguing for it to work that way, I am just asking that the interface be consistent and intuitive.
    end ==================

> = Suggestion =
    >
    > In response to a first click on the 'Highlight' button, for any page not previously bookmarked by the user, Diigo/Diigolet might subtly respond:
    >
    > "Your highlight has been added to the bookmark of this page."
    >

start ==================
    I think this might be the better solution of them all. I am trying to remember what function flashes a yellow bar in the upper left corner of the browser that dissapears on its own after sometime. Something similar could work in this case.
    end ==================

>
    > > … this should be an option. Coincidentally, there is even a
    > > "bookmark and highlight" tab in the Options dialog, so it
    > > definitely should NOT go there ;-)
    >
    > I hope that was ironic ;-)
    >

start =================
    Yeah, just having a bit of fun during an in-depth conversation.
    end ==================
  • Graham Perrin

> trying to remember what function flashes a yellow bar in the
    > upper left corner of the browser that dissapears on its own
    > after sometime.

I see something like that if I use
    Firefox 3.0.4 | Diigo Toolbar 3.1.6.7 | secondary Diigo menu | This URL | Get Annotated Link… | Copy

I recall the notice being yellow but when I perform the action now, the effect is white.

(Is that, a false recollection based on the normally yellow nature of pop-ups from Windows System Tray Notification Area? I wonder.)

On Mac OS X the most common approach, widely adopted, is Growl http://growl.info/
  • Graham Perrin

@ Diigo developers:

1. In the midst of our chatter (!) we have Cristiano's observation of a bug

2. Here using Diigo Toolbar 3.1.6.7 in Firefox 3.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.5, I reproduced the bug.
  • Graham Perrin

Cristiano Siri wrote:

> I've to do bookmarking alone and then highlighting alone.

= Workaround =

1. Firefox | Tools menu | Add-ons | Extensions | Diigo Bookmarks and Web Annotations 3.1.6.7 | Disable | close

2. http://www.diigo.com/tools/diigolet

3. Drag Diigolet for Firefox to your Bookmarks Toolbar

4. exit from then re-open Firefox.

Then, for any page you wish to highlight:

1. click Diigolet

2. select text

3. from the contextual menu, choose: Highlight.

In Diigolet 3.1b446: the initial highlight coincides with background production of a public bookmark (as if we need reminding ;) and subsequent highlights are associated with the same bookmark.
  • Graham Perrin

Scott Allam wrote:

> placing a highlight will automatically create a bookmark.

I share the same recollection but now, using Diigo Toolbar 3.1.6.7 in Firefox 3.0.4, I realise that

a) contextual menu | Highlight

and

b) toolbar | Highlight button

do both produce a highlight *without* a bookmark. A novelty, perhaps.

My first question at http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/bookmark-and-highlight-doesn-t-work-on-firefox-3-0-4-9113#15 was originally theoretical but now (with 3.1.6.7), it's real.

Re http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/new-toolbar-9096 let's await an update to the change log.

@ Cristiano

Sorry for the continuing chatter!

I might spin my question re: seeking bookmark-less highlights into a separate topic (I will not continue that question here).

@ Diigo developers

We do seem to have a bug in 3.1.6.7, as described in comment #1
  • Cristiano Siri

Hi Graham,
    it works for me.

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group