Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ Why can you add a simple feature as ratings your bookmark url ?
webtik M.

Why can you add a simple feature as ratings your bookmark url ? - 422 views

bookmark rate suggestion

started by webtik M. on 17 Dec 08
  • webtik M.

Hi,

Honestly im used with Diigo already and i really think it miss a major feature, just to add a rate to ours urls we collect...
    So stars, numbers... whatever... as long as we can rate it.
    If Someone is interessed by this feature; please vote here ;)

I vote for it completly :)
    Webtik
  • anonymous

Well in list view, you can manipulate the order in which your bookmarks appear, which in some sense allows you to define some kind personal preference to the list.

That said, I do like less formal means to assign personal preference such as a rating system. Ironically, there has been much debate about the "thumb up" feature in groups and how they are underutilized and frankly not that useful. But within a personal context, I think it goes a long way to helping you organize your bookmark assets with the most relevant ones near the top.

I would thumb up this feature. :-) We can place a star on our Diigo messages. Why can't we star our bookmarks as well?

Nice idea webtik.
  • webtik M.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply, an yes I know about the list, but it will be really practice on the fly to star our bookmark just in time ;)

and yep you are right like you said why cant we star our bookmark like our Diigo messages... i didn't think about that ;)

Thanks a lot Scott
    ^__^
  • Graham Perrin

Diigo group bookmarks
    =====================

* thumb up is optional, e.g.
    http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/bookmark

* thumb down is not an option, and I appreciate that positivity that this encourages

* sorting by thumbs up is tabbed, e.g.
    http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/bookmark?sort_by=3

* navigating beyond the first page of sorted thumbs up is bugged,
    http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/bookmark-navigation-next-page-of-bookmarks-loses-the-preferred-method-of-sorting-9062

Note: if you have shared a bookmark with a group, then thumbs up on the group copy of the bookmark are not reflected on your personal copy.

Starring bookmarks that are not within a group:
    preparation
    ===============================================

http://www.diigo.com/ | My Bookmarks | select (tick) the bookmarks that you would like to rate | Add to list
    Thanks ImageShack!
    Create new list | Title | Starred | Create the list

Starring bookmarks that are not within a group:
    a three-click routine (after the bookmarking event)
    ===============================================

1. tick
    2. Add to list
    3. Starred

Public views of your annotated bookmarks
    http://www.diigo.com/user/Webtik | Annotated | Expand All
    and of your cloud http://www.diigo.com/cloud/webtik show your interest in design and iconography, so I guess that the three-click routine will be dissatisfying!

There's an alternative routine, which should please you...
  • Graham Perrin

Rating bookmarks that are not within a group:
    easier routines (at time of bookmarking)
    =============================================

At the page you wish to bookmark, using Diigolet:

1. select the text that has most meaning to you
    2. highlight

The highlight produces (or adds to) your bookmark, so you have:

* two-click bookmarking
    * producing something more meaningful than a star.

Also possible, using Diigo Toolbar 3.1.6.5 for Firefox:

* one-click bookmarking
    * adding tags of your choice (without a second click).
  • anonymous

Graham, your solution to make new lists, i.e. 'starred' ('read it later' would also be applicable here) does work and for the short term could be used. The work around may even push the need for such a solution lower down on the developer's wish list.

However, it does miss the point a bit. And that is, its important to see items both as a clean list without other distractions AND sometimes its better to view it in context with the other members of the group. Especially in research where the relationships between items is as important as the is isolated items.

To go back to the messages as an example. I can look at my inbox and see message that have been starred in context with other items or I can go to the Starred tab and see them in isolation. Of course, with your work around solution, I can still see my items in context with the other items, but it is not readily apparent visually that they have been 'starred' or in this case, placed into a starred list.

As an experiment, I am actually creating a private list called 'Starred' to learn how this works in practice. Do you do something similar to this or was this a suggestion to the problem specifically?
  • anonymous

Ha, here is a funny one. You can create a private group, and put all your bookmarks in there. And then utilize the thumb up feature in the group setting to "star" the items. Too funny.
  • Graham Perrin

> … solution … work around … it does miss the point a bit.

If the routines were intended as solutions, they would miss the point entirely.

The routines are work-arounds.

I do use stars :)
  • Graham Perrin

> Too funny.

Very innovative :)
  • webtik M.

Finaly, its seems mostly people are agree to say those stars are a good idea, right? ;)

Coz if the point is really to put what we really think when we add our bookmark at the time we are doing that... the stars should be a good option.

I guess it has a good reason if Diigo's Team dont put interest to rate our bookmarks so easily, but i confess i dont know really why?

Like said Scott, I use also ReaditLater... and its not the same usage...
    And highlight process is not really the same to fix this issue.

So i just hope for that ;)

Apologies about my english; i try to do my best :-/
  • Graham Perrin

webtik M. wrote:

> Apologies about my english; i try to do my best :-/

Your English is well understood, thank you :)

Apologies about my Francais :-/

> Coz if the point is really to put what we really think when we add
    > our bookmark at the time we are doing that... the stars should be a
    > good option.

Would you welcome the option to 'star' in *both* of the following situations?

i) at time of bookmarking

ii) later, when reviewing your bookmarks.

> I guess it has a good reason if Diigo's Team dont put interest to
    > rate our bookmarks so easily, but i confess i dont know really why?

A highlight from http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/vote-feature-415#12

>> … a 5 star system. My experience tells me that the star system is
    >> quite meaningless, and causes confusion. I think the first question
    >> that comes up is, "Why did I bother saving something if it was only
    >> 1 star?". I have talked to a number of people who would use the
    >> stars as a way to further organize bookmarks. …

I'm not confusing a five-star system with a single star (toggle) approach but I wonder whether, at some point in the past, Diigo toyed with something richer than a simple 'thumbs up' for user bookmarks. If so, then users may have faltered.

If offered the option to _thumb_ down my own bookmark then I, too, would think:

* Why did I bother?

> seems mostly people are agree to say those stars are a good idea,
    > right? ;)

I like to click stars. Certianly, I would like to see some introduction of stars to Diigo.

However, Diigo is not an island; and star icons have mixed meanings.

In the neighbouring topic http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/for-you-personally-what-does-a-star-icon-mean-9158 I focus solely on two choices - either 'goodness' or 'importance' - and ask respondents to not think computers before expressing what a star means to them.

Beyond goodness and importance, with apologies for extending this topic: online appearance of the star icon has other meanings, some of which have been very troublesome/frustrating.

Sometimes stars are like ticks/check marks, indicating items upon which a subsequent action should applied.

Sometimes a star means: 'private'.

Sometimes a star means: 'subscribe me to this public thing'.

Sometimes a star meant: 'subcribe me to this thing' but the subscription failed, because an underlying default workflow suppressed e-mails to subscribers, and the preference to enable e-mails was difficult to find, et cetera.

(Quiz, for fun: have you found the existing stars in Diigo? If you do find them: don't answer, but do think about the broad pictures, including notions of a Diigo gadget for iGoogle … at your iGoogle page, might other non-Diigo gadgets use stars in other ways? Et cetera.)

----

The meaning/placement of the icon must be sensible enough to have a _common_ (or at least widespread) understanding -- without explanatory text.

If it becomes necessary to add texts, alongside an icon and/or away from the icon (in a help centre, for example), then:

* the beauty, the value of a simple small icon is lost.

Keeping this positive, my bottom line here:

* yes, I do like to click stars :)

Best,
    Graham
  • webtik M.

Many thanks Graham about your deep reply :)

So ok, concerning my mind about that :

> Would you welcome the option to 'star' in *both* of the following situations?
    > i) at time of bookmarking
    > ii) later, when reviewing your bookmarks.

No wonder, for me its more the first purpose for sure! AT TIME OF BOOKMARKING
    however it can be used also later... but its not what i was thinking...

Coz you know when you surf a lot and you find interresting resources... you like to store yours resources and to say to yourself, oh its sure in this field this kinda informations from this website, can be really usefull in needed... So what is the solution to sort right away my bookmark if i want to see my priority... in the different category (a star.... a special tag...)

Whatever the solution as long as i can do it right away when im bookmarking (not later)! coz later its a waste of time... if you can do it now right;)

To confess I use Diigo coz I like the tag system et the way to search my bookmark and share with the community...

But the fact to thumb up a private bookmark is good but i can do it just later not just in time! :(

So ok i understand the issue about the meaning of stars but you have maybe to let the users decide what they expect from that! coz if majority people like to think is a maner to help them...

Anyway whatever the solution to do it, i really think it really miss something about Diigo to mark a bookmark easily that we want to make different of the others bookmarks
    The people likes do the thing more quickly ;) (as twitter) ;)

Thanks about your understanding with my words ;)
    ^___^

Regards,
    WebTik
  • Graham Perrin

Without re-kindling this topic (there's plenty going in other topics):

In Nabble support area at the moment, discussions include:

Ratings
    http://n2.nabble.com/Ratings-tp2230797p2261384.html

Label(s) for content
    http://n2.nabble.com/Suggestion%3A-language-warning-tp661558p2264592.html

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group