Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ Diigo keeps logging me out
The Ravine / Joseph Dunphy

Diigo keeps logging me out - 120 views

server sign in sign out log in log out resolved

started by The Ravine / Joseph Dunphy on 06 Aug 09
  • The Ravine / Joseph Dunphy

This is a new problem, albeit not a huge one. For the last few days, every time I've turned on the computer for the first time that day, I've found myself logged out of Diigo. Yes, my computer is set to accept cookies; I'm still logged into a number of other sites when my day begins. But not Diigo. The good news (so far) is that the involuntary logouts have only seemed to be happening once per day.

Anybody else notice the same thing?
  • Graham Perrin

http://blog.diigo.com/ refers to http://twitter.com/diigo with recent service alerts that may be relevant.

You might like to enable e-mail notifications for topics such as
    http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/48699
    http://groups.diigo.com/Diigo_HQ/forum/topic/44842 but some of the issues/reports are mixed so I don't expect a clear resolution to those topics.

Please, what's your:

* operating system and version
    * browser and version
    * version of Diigolet, or installed version of Diigo?
  • Graham Perrin

What's the expiry date of your diigoandlogincookie ?

Graham Perrin wrote:

Please, what's your:

> operating system and version

Windows XP
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

> browser and version

Internet Explorer 8

> version of Diigolet, or installed version of Diigo?

I use the toolbar. My activation letter came on February 9 of this year, so probably whichever version had been most recently released, then. I see a file named DiigoToolbar.3.1.13.dll, if that helps.

> What's the expiry date of your diigoandlogincookie ?

I have no idea and wouldn't even know where to look for such a thing.

• Graham Perrin

>> What's the expiry date of your diigoandlogincookie ?
    >
    > I have no idea and wouldn't even know where to look for such a thing.

I can't find an answer from Microsoft but http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajfh.html may help you to view the cookie.
  • Graham Perrin

>> version of Diigolet, or installed version of Diigo?
    >
    > I use the toolbar. My activation letter came on February 9 of this
    > year, so probably whichever version had been most recently
    > released, then. I see a file named DiigoToolbar.3.1.13.dll, if
    > that helps.

Start menu | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Diigo Toolbar for Internet Explorer
    does not show the version;

Diigo menu | Help | About
    does show the version.

Whether the version in the dialogue will match the version of the .dll I don't know.

The problem didn't replicate itself today, for some reason. Good news, if this lasts.
  • Graham Perrin

Thanks for the positive feedback :-)

http://blog.diigo.com/ leads to http://twitter.com/diigo with some service alerts.

Whilst the alerts are not particularly recent, I assume that some servers have been quietly restarted occasionally since that time.

My guess: a restart of a server caused a login-related cookie to be unrecognised.
  • Graham Perrin

http://www.diigo.com/about describes the Diigo team.

I'm neither a member of the team nor affiliated with Diigo. I'm a user of Diigo and I help out in the Diigo Community group.

I've been helping out (much) more than usual in recent months, the greatest burst of activity began in the month or so before Furl closed. Me fielding as many enquiries as possible, re: the current version of Diigo, is mainly a community thing, hopefully allowing the Diigo team to focus on the next version of Diigo.
  • Graham Perrin

Please keep personal insults out of the public area.
  • Graham Perrin

the ravine / joseph dunphy wrote:

> You should, therefore, not be asking

I ask for information with a view to helping the user, and the broader Diigo Community.

> waste my time

For your waste, sorry.

> maybe slightly increase my vulnerability to a hacker's attack

If you do not wish people to guess that you use Windows, then maybe refrain from joining groups that have the word 'Windows' in their name.

"Please keep personal insults out of the public area."

Taking you to task for inappropriate conduct does not constitute the making of a "personal insult", no matter how convenient you may find pretending that it does.

Love the quotation out of context, however. Surely the mark of a true gentleman.

"If you do not wish people to guess that you use Windows, then maybe refrain from joining groups that have the word 'Windows' in their name."

Sigh. You do know that there's more than one version of Windows, right? Did you understand what I just said to you at all?

Censorship is not cool. Censorship carried out for venal puposes is even less so. But I'd seen people sink to it before, so I had the foresight to hold onto copies of the posts which were wrongly deleted from this discussion, allowing me to repost them here.

Post # 9 read:

Ummm ... Graham

What exactly is your affiliation with Diigo? If you have none, then
    what are you doing asking me questions on their behalf, and thanking me for feedback?

If you are affiliated with these people, then what are you doing acting like you're just another user, as you do here?

Who the (deleted) are you?

Let's make sure that there is no misunderstanding on this point. I'm the one who wrote "(deleted)". There was no profanity in that passage to delete, because I never put any in, in the first place. The only thing that I've changed in the passage is the font color, because I've set the quote against a black background.

In this case, we have a perfect valid complaint - that Perrin is acting as if he possesses authority which he does not - being responded to with an act of censorship. This is completely unacceptable and grossly unprofessional. I'd go so far as to call it corrupt.

Let's take a look at comment 11, now. As you will see, it's deletion was equally indefensible, and arguably defamatory in its effect (and, I'd say its intent as well), as it leaves the reader with a distorted picture of what was taking place in this discussion. Ever see Jimmy Kimmel do his "year of unnecessary censorship" pieces? Then you know the game, the difference being that Kimmel lets you in on the game.

Let's see what a little added context will do, in this case.

Nice try.

If you aren't a team member, then you aren't in a position to fix anything, and therefore have no use for the information. You should, therefore, not be asking for it.

What you're starting to remind me of, right now, is the sort of person who will follow behind the police and take it upon himself to start doing crowd control on their behalf, manufacturing his own authority; a control freak who pretends to be something that he isn't. People like that don't solve problems, they are problems. All that you did on this occasion was waste my time, and maybe slightly increase my vulnerability to a hacker's attack, by telling him something about the computer I use. In no way were you helpful.

In the future, if you wish to feed your ego, please do so on your own time. Thank you.

I'm holding onto copies of this update for reasons which should now be obvious. There is nothing honest about the moderation taking place in this forum.

This is really bad. Outrageous, in fact. Perrin, having been called on the fact that he's been creating the illusion that he's something he's not, declares a truthful statement to be a personal attack, on the basis that the truth doesn't make him look very good. This is an argument that should get its maker laughed out of any discussion in which it is made, and yet somebody on staff was willing to engage in censorship, in support of it. Absolutely disgraceful.

Open question to those working at Diigo - who did this, and how long ago did you fire him? Tampering with the public record in order to protect a misbehaving user from the public recognition of his misconduct, at the expense of another user with a valid complaint? How much worse could this be?

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group