Skip to main content

Home/ Diigo Community/ Tags being clipped
anonymous

Tags being clipped - 272 views

tagcloud

started by anonymous on 17 May 07
  • Maggie Tsai

To use a phrase as a single tag, either put quotation marks around the phrase, or use hyphen between words.
  • anonymous

Yes Maggie, I do that. But the cloud still clips it if it's more that a certain number of characters.

maggie_diigo wrote:
    > To use a phrase as a single tag, either put quotation marks around the phrase, or use hyphen between words.
  • Dr. Fridemar Pache

Hi donalconIon, hi Maggie,

thank you donalconion for this excellent suggestion.

Long tags are really helpful to connect clear cut concepts in different social communities.
    They appear indispensable for open SocialCollaboration (and IntraCorporateCollaboration too).

By the way, what about not only allowing long tags, but making the tags sensible to uppercase and show them in CaseSensitive form. This way the readers can overlook them at least twice as fast.

MayAllBeHappy

Fridemar
    PS.:
    For the sake of widest open SocialCollaboration, specially for DiiGoTrailFireCollaboration, I make my posting a TrailMark annotation too and tag this accordingly.

FireTrailAnnotation

donalconlon wrote:
    > Yes Maggie, I do that. But the cloud still clips it if it's more that a certain number of characters.
    >
    > maggie_diigo wrote:
    > > To use a phrase as a single tag, either put quotation marks around the phrase, or use hyphen between words.
  • anonymous

Great suggestions fridemar. The tag cloud is a great tool, but it needs some more attention.

fridemar wrote:
    > Hi donalconIon, hi Maggie,
    >
    > thank you donalconion for this excellent suggestion.
    >
    > Long tags are really helpful to connect clear cut concepts in different social communities.
    > They appear indispensable for open SocialCollaboration (and IntraCorporateCollaboration too).
    >
    > By the way, what about not only allowing long tags, but making the tags sensible to uppercase and show them in CaseSensitive form. This way the readers can overlook them at least twice as fast.
    >
    > MayAllBeHappy
    >
    > Fridemar
    > PS.:
    > For the sake of widest open SocialCollaboration, specially for DiiGoTrailFireCollaboration, I make my posting a TrailMark annotation too and tag this accordingly.
    >
    > FireTrailAnnotation
    >
    >
    > donalconlon wrote:
    > > Yes Maggie, I do that. But the cloud still clips it if it's more that a certain number of characters.
    > >
    > > maggie_diigo wrote:
    > > > To use a phrase as a single tag, either put quotation marks around the phrase, or use hyphen between words.
  • Maggie Tsai

Good feedback from you both.

> Long tags are really helpful to connect clear cut concepts in different social communities.

Got it. Tags are under more development now.

>
    > By the way, what about not only allowing long tags, but making the tags sensible to uppercase and show them in CaseSensitive form. This way the readers can overlook them at least twice as fast.

This is not a simple switch on / off - will involve & affect a lot of our backend stuff. Need careful evaluation by our team.
  • iplnts

Hi Maggie!

I'm here again!

It is welcome to hear that the Tags are under more development now.! WOW!!

I agree too, with this post thread: it would be good at least if the longer tagnames coudn't be cut off.

I understand from a programmer view it is not so simple to resolve, similarly the toggling between the uppercase and lowercase, due to backend.

- In latter case it may be probable a satisfactorily enough solution only allowing to type both lowercase & uppercase characters in tag names (i don't quite undertand why this would not be allowed :), It is a bit weaker conditions than the toggling between lower/uppercase ones.

- Regarding to the long tag names appearance: Consider the tags appearing in drop down combo box added with a short and or filter feature at MyBookmark seeing the taglist under the link, instead of tag cloud which takes much more place from the screen. (it immediately would be edited, or picked up in another window the details as it is now;... it is only a tipp:)

I already put an earlier post regarding to the
    Editing tags: which may be combined and solved elegantly and simply with this problem.

I'd like also drawing to your attention too here according to the tag improvement my another earlier post confirming my and probably else one's claim for:
    There would be more charaters allowed in the tag names than 256.
    How many characters are allowed in the tag list?

I'd appreciate your solution for improving the tag feature owing to it is a really sensitive part of the perspicuity.

Thanks, for your listening

maggie_diigo wrote:
    > Good feedback from you both.
    >
    > > Long tags are really helpful to connect clear cut concepts in different social communities.
    >
    > Got it. Tags are under more development now.
    >
    > >
    > > By the way, what about not only allowing long tags, but making the tags sensible to uppercase and show them in CaseSensitive form. This way the readers can overlook them at least twice as fast.
    >
    > This is not a simple switch on / off - will involve & affect a lot of our backend stuff. Need careful evaluation by our team.
  • Maggie Tsai

We've finished implementing FF long tags support, but still have a little trouble with IE stylesheet. Will continue playing with it.

This feature will be rolled out with the next major website release. Stay tuned.
  • iplnts

HI! Maggie!

Thanks,

maggie_diigo wrote:
    > We've finished implementing FF long tags support, but still have a little trouble with IE stylesheet. Will continue playing with it.
    >
    > This feature will be rolled out with the next major website release. Stay tuned.
  • Dr. Fridemar Pache

Thank you Diigo providers,

Long tags are very efficient tools to interface between different social online communities and to transport ideas, that are in the Web2.0 trend.

As example, some peers might want to search and link to long tags like:

CreatingAndSharingWealth
    SocialCommonWealth

Currently they don't show in the Diigo tag-search, although the author made them public. Grrrh :-(
    Instead of this, if you search ("All Bookmarks by tag") at Diigo's Mainpage for

"SocialCommonWealth"

and who would deny that millions of socially minded people would like to build and share SocialCommonWealth

we get the wrong answer:

No bookmarks tagged SocialCommonWealth

The author doesn't think, that the Diigo community is happy with such a state, which appears to him only as a bug feature of the diigo software and not a missing social engagement of the Diigo provider.

MayAllBeHappy
    Fridemar

iplnts wrote:
    > HI! Maggie!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > maggie_diigo wrote:
    > > We've finished implementing FF long tags support, but still have a little trouble with IE stylesheet. Will continue playing with it.
    > >
    > > This feature will be rolled out with the next major website release. Stay tuned.
  • Maggie Tsai

fridemar
    >
    > The author doesn't think, that the Diigo community is happy with such a state, which appears to him only as a bug feature of the diigo software and not a missing social engagement of the Diigo provider.
    >

I disagree with this statement. We don't view Diigo as merely just a piece of software. We're actively building the underlying core platform (it takes a lot hard work!!!) that not only provides a powerful personal online research companion, but more importantly, a rich social platform that enables new modes of interactions and participations on the web. What you see here is barely scratching the surface of what we envision Diigo to eventually evolve to.

Among juggling a million things to do, we don't have time, nor it's appropriate for us to re-iterate our grand vision statement each time we reply to a forum post, where users provide an input and we respond in a way that gets to the point. We welcome and actively filter through user suggestions and inputs. And we don't take user inputs only at face value as lots of internal discussions follow.

Others are of course, welcome to participate in the discussion. In this type of social platforms, participants will and are freely to participate when they feel they have something to contribute. That's the beauty of web2.0, and the new social web that Diigo is helping to shape and create.

To Top

Start a New Topic » « Back to the Diigo Community group